Monday, February 21, 2011

Beating the Winter Blues...with Color!

Last week was pretty lovely. Most of the snow melted, the sun came out, the sky was blue, and things were looking up.

This morning was pretty dreary. The sun was gone, the warmth was gone, and in its place was cold and rain. This afternoon the snow started. Thankfully I made it home safely through the frozen ice pellets, freezing rain, and finally snow - despite the treacherous roadways that looked suspiciously unsalted!

Now, after about 4 hours of snow, here is what is staring at me out the window (besides the snow plow that barrells through every hour or so):



So peaceful, so quiet...yet so threatening! So colorless, too! So despite the work it takes to keep my plants alive, they are just a little source of happiness as I water them everyday (or as much as I remember!) ...

This is the longest surviving plant I currently have - a Christmas Cactus. After I presumed it dead last year and was going to throw it out, my mom nursed it back to health and it has been blooming several times this Christmas!
Silly as it may sound, I've actually wanted a legit cactus for a long time. One of Robbie's students gave him this as a present this year, so now I have at least one thing I really can't kill!

We didn't buy a poinsettia this year because we were out of town for the holidays (even though we did put up a tree!), but after Christmas my grandparents brought it over to keep while they headed south for the winter!

Another strong plant, this one was killed once after it bloomed in the summer, but is making a nice mid-winter comeback in my front window where it gets lots of sun!

And finally, the newest edition to the plants in my house, this primrose is very particular. One day I came in to find all the flowers drooping like they were dead, but with a little water and a couple hours, they were back up and back to normal (as long as I remember to water daily) !
Feeling the winter blues? Find yourself a little piece of life and color to perk up those blah winter days!

No comments:

Post a Comment