Tuesday, February 15, 2011

You know you're bored when... :-)

I really have no reason to be bored...I really have no time to be bored! It's not like I'm sitting here, doing nothing, but at the moment I do not have a focused task that has to be completed tonight, and I'm pretty drained from an intense day of teaching, but silly me still needs to feel productive, so in between laundry loads, what's a girl to do?

(Those of you who are wondering, why not just relax on the couch? need to realize that in my messed up head, being productive around the house is relaxing --- to a certain extent. I definitely take a break on Friday nights and crash on the couch with a movie if I can, but hey - it's only Tuesday!)

So the clue to me that I'm really bored (or just plain procrastinating on everything else!) is that I think it's a good time to pull out the cross-stitch.   ..."Cross-stitch!?" you say, "What's that?" You know, that thing most all women used to do 'a hundred years ago' in their spare time, that involves a creative type of sewing for fun.

This project was actually supposed to be in a plant (the pieces should be wired together and stuck on a plant stake - not sure why I or anyone else thought that would be a good idea!)
This activity is just perfect for the high-strung person like me who needs to feel productive while sitting still. Usually it comes out on long car rides or when I know I'm going somewhere there isn't internet (hmm...that doesn't happen anymore for us Blackberry people!). This also may be why I have actually finished very few projects ;-) .

One of Four napkin rings (this is the only one that got started!)
All the projects have been abandoned (for the most part) since before I was able to drive. However, one project in particular I have been working on off and on since then. It is also the largest project I undertook, consisting of the cartoon character Tigger jumping on Winnie the Pooh. You can see where I am right now below!



The way I see it, I'll be very lucky to have this project completed by the time we have kids to appreciate it! Haha - I guess that's a step better than my mom, who finally gave my sister her cross-stitched birth announcement when she graduated from high school! (The thing to understand here is that my sister really thought she was getting second fiddle because I had one and she didn't...)

So, now that I've shared my own little boredom idiosyncrasy(!), I want to know what yours is! What do you do when you're really bored? How do you know you've reached the ultimate in boredness? ;-)
Can't wait to find out!

2 comments:

  1. I am the only one in my family with a completed cross-stich birth announcement!! Laura's is done but not framed, and Ben's is still in progress. :-)

    I read a lot when I'm too tired to do anything else...usually some sort of 'worthwhile' fiction. I've been contemplating a cross stitch project lately, too...I got a bunch of old patterns from a friend from church. And there's always facebook....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your cross stitches all look like mine... Will's birth record was originally going to be for my nephew (now 4) and I have yet to finish it, much less start on Caleb's :)

    ReplyDelete